Thursday, February 22, 2007

Tories chomping at the bit for Julian

Peter Julian might have to watch out for the eager field of Conservatives wanting his job. Joining previous nomination runners-up realtor Sam Rakhra and second generation politico Ryan Warawa are some other potential candidates.

Former 1997 Surrey PC candidate Vincent Antonio is being floated as a possible contender. Antonio had been rumoured as a potential candidate in Vancouver South, but it looks like he may be going for the other half of the old Vancouver South-Burnaby district instead. (Wai Young, a consultant and SUCCESS volunteer, looks to be the only candidate going for the Vancouver South Conservative nod against the recuperating Ujjal Dosanjh.) Businessman Antonio ran an embarassing fifth in Surrey Central with the PC Party in 1997.

Another name being floated is Hardeep Sall, of whom Burnaby Politics knows little.

Julian has a commanding lead based off his first two campaigns for the seat, but a lesser known candidate in the Liberal fold may allow the Tory to jump into second place from where they finished with picket crosser Marc Dalton in 2006. Unless a seismic shift occurs, Julian should be returning for a third term as resident NDP critic of an array of economic and social issues.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should wake up........ out of towners dont win easily. Especially against a sitting member.

2/23/2007 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

far be it for me to overcook the goose of optimism, but if Don Bell could beat Ted White in North Vancouver, some random schmuck like myself should've replaced Peter Julian 3 years ago already.

as a Conservative voter, however, i'm not terribly impressed with the current roster of Conservative contestants for Burnaby-New Westminster. but that's another story.

2/23/2007 2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least that list is a lot more favourable than that Dalton chump and his God squaders.

2/23/2007 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whothehellis Vincent Antonio?

2/23/2007 9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With such candidates running for the conservative nomination all of Peter Julian's fears must be realised. There are candidates from Surrey, Vancouver and just about everywhere except Burnaby.

He's probably hiding under his couch right now scared that Bobo the Clown (the Langley, not the Burnaby one) might enter the race as well.

Burnaby Douglas might be a race; but south burnaby is NDP country.

2/24/2007 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dalton is terrible. At least he's gone.

2/24/2007 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dalton is such a nut. He's not the right type of candidate for an urban riding like Burnaby or New West. He might fit in Chilliwack but his evangelical conservatism is not a good fit here.

2/25/2007 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any thoughts whether Brian Bonney would run now that he is out of the provincial Liberals.

2/25/2007 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously, religion may be a potent schtick to beat the Conservatives with, but only in a PR point-winning sense. it's not as if Mike Redmond gave a straightforward response on gay marriage either. and when you think about it, the current list of potential candidates aren't that much different.

2/26/2007 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Any thoughts whether Brian Bonney would run now that he is out of the provincial Liberals. "

Here's one thought..

*vomit*

2/27/2007 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Julian doing the Lambada on the radio this afternoon on the Balcony Rapist moving to his riding. He kept on sidestepping the obvious fact that he and his party voted against a bill which would stop the release of sickos like this guy.
I smell an election issue against Julian.

3/01/2007 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Balcony Rapist is supposedly
moving into Sapperton which is on edge of the northeast part of the riding along 10th Ave north of McBride.

Julian is going to have alot of 'splainin' to do as to why he voted against the bill.

Could be brought up at his next "damb I'm good" citizen's meeting.

3/01/2007 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say Julian voted against a bad bill, one that probably would have been overturned in the Supreme Court of Canada. Here's a newsflash to all you righties, there's something in Canada called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And if you have served your time in prison as this Callow guy has, (I believe he served his full sentence) then you get released. Mr. Callow is under strict conditions, and under the watchful eye of the NWPD.

To get a second kick at someone after sentencing, without them committing a crime after having been found guilty and being sentenced for that crime would be a form of double jeopardy. The criminal code sets the sentencing limits and guidelines that the judges use.

The judge perhaps erred (along with the ontario crown) by not pursuing a dangerous offender designation at the time of sentencing. And how do you differentiate between a crime such as what this guy did, and say tax fraud, or petty theft, when coming up with a proposed law that would fundamentally let the crown continually come after you, even after you have fulfilled the conditions of your sentence and done your time.

And from what was reported in the Royal City Record, Julian and the NDP are proposing extending the window for determining a dangerous offender status. What's eerie to this observer that the former longtime MP, Paul Whatshisface (been gone so long I've forgotten his name) apparently was a former parole officer, and has been very very silent on this issue, instead chirping up about how great the state of Israel is, and how bad the arabs are.

3/09/2007 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home